The Junkers G 24, K 30 and G 31



The tremendous success of the single-engined F 13, which could be seen at work in all parts of the world in the years after the First World War, encouraged Professor Junkers to take the next step in the evolution of the all-metal, low-wing, cantilever monoplane. This was largely driven by the demand for more comfort, capacity, speed and range and, particularly in Germany, the relaxation of the onerous Allied restrictions, which had limited aircraft design parameters since the ratification of the Versailles Peace Treaty in 1920.

Missing out twin-engined configurations for airliners, Junkers plumped straight for three engines in the nine-passenger G 24, which was also produced as a bomber designated K 30. With 90 produced in both models, together with another 13 of the larger G 31, all three types were hampered by shortcomings in engine design, and success was hard won.

Still, the G 24 found use in several European countries and Latin America, in addition to Deutsche Luft Hansa, and a single aircraft was delivered to Afghanistan. The G 31 became world famous when operated as a freight transport in New Guinea, and the K 30 bomber was delivered to Chile, Spain and the Soviet Union.

The authors have again drawn on official documentation and their own painstaking research over four decades to produce, within its covers, a wealth of facts and figures, stories, photographs and colour drawings that should appeal to all historians and serious enthusiasts alike.




Junkers G 24, K 30 and G 31 operators

Germany and Afghanistan, Argentina, Austria, Brazil, Chile, Denmark, Finland, Greece, Italy, Netherlands, New Guinea, Norway, Portugal, the Soviet Union, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey and Yugoslavia.